Welcome to Plein Air Map. This is the help page. Here you will find all the instructions for all activity on the site.
Remember, you can always use this form to contact Ben with bugs you might have found, questions, feature requests, or anything else.
The most important thing to remember when adding spots is to make sure the photo was taken with location encoding turned on. This is called different things depending on the smartphone you are using. The site depends on the geographic coordinates being encoded in the EXIF information of the image file.
To add a spot:
Click the link on the User menu to 'Add Spot' You'll be taken to the form page to create a Spot. Fill out the various details:
- Title: Give the spot a title or a name. This will appear to other users. Choose something descriptive of the spot and why you chose it.
- Photo of Spot: Click the 'Choose File' button. Select an image file from your computer or device. When you've selected the file, it will be uploaded to the site. After it has completed uploading, a thumbnail of the image will appear, along with a 'Remove' button.
- Body: In the Body field, add any notes or more of a description of the spot. Here is your chance to share with the Landscape Finder community what you found interesting about this particular spot.
- Spot Tags: Select the appropriate tags that apply to your spot.
- Artwork for Spot: This step is optional. You can either add an artwork to the spot when creating it, or later. See below for more extended instructions for this step.
Finally, when you have added all the information for the spot, click the 'Save' button.
All artworks must be added to a particular spot. (For now) you can only add artworks to your own spots. This will be changing soon. To add an artwork to one of your spots, go to the spot's page (either find it on the map or via the 'My Spots' link on the user menu.) Click the Edit link in the tabs toward the top of the page (part of the View, Edit, and Delete group.) Click the 'Add Artwork' button and fill out the fields:
- Title: This is a title for your artwork (not the spot.)
- Image: Click the 'Choose File' button. Select an image file from your computer or device. When you've selected the file, it will be uploaded to the site. After it has completed uploading, a thumbnail of the image will appear, along with a 'Remove' button.
- Medium: Select the medium used to create the Artwork. If you don't see the medium you used in the list, use the Contact Ben form to suggest the addition of a new medium.
- Surface: Select the surface used to create the Artwork. If you don't see the surface you used in the list, use the Contact Ben form to suggest the addition of a new surface type
Once you've completed all the information, click the 'Create Artwork' button.
NOTE: You must click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the Spot Editing page to save the Artwork with the spot.
On this page you can edit your name, change your password, upload a profile picture, add a biography, or add a link to your personal website. You can also reach this page by clicking 'My account' from the user menu and 'Edit.'